Parham Yashar, MD
Dr. Yashar joined the California Neurosurgical Institute after completing his fellowship and residency in 2012. With his broad experience, interest, and accomplishments in Spine, Brain, and Neuro-Interventional procedures, Dr. Yashar has become a preeminent Neurosurgeon in Los Angeles and an integral Partner at CNI.
Dr. Yashar is a Summa Cum Laude graduate from UCLA, where he received his Bachelor of Science with both High Honors and Departmental Distinction in Cybernetics. Dr. Yashar then attended The Feinberg School of Medicine of Northwestern University. He completed his residency in Neurological Surgery at LAC+USC Medical Center/Keck School of Medicine and an international recognized Endovascular Fellowship under the mentorship of Dr. L. Nelson Hopkins and Dr. Elad I. Levy, at the University at Buffalo (SUNY-Buffalo) in Upstate New York.
Dr. Yashar strives to achieve the best for each and every patient he treats. He recognizes that every patient is unique and is committed to treating each with compassion and empathy, through every step of the treatment process.
- Chandler JP, Yashar P, Laskin WB, Russell EJ. Intracranial chondrosarcoma: a case report and review of the literature. Journal of Neurooncology, May 2004, 68(1):33-39. PMID: 15174519
- Parkinson RJ, Bendok BR, Getch CC, Yashar P, Shaibani A, Ankenbrandt W, Awad IA, Batjer HH. Retrograde suction-decompression of a giant paraclinoid aneurysm using a No. 7 French balloon-containing guide catheter. Technical Note. Journal of Neurosurgey, September 2006, 105(3):479-81. PMID: 16961148 Yashar P, Sepahdari AR, Mahjoubi FD. Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the breast in a woman. The Breast Journal, December 2006, 12(6):571-572. PMID: 17238990 Song YD, Lee EJ, Yashar P, Pfaff LE, Kim SY, Jameson JL. Islet cell differentiation in liver by combinatorial expression of transcription factors Neurogenin-3, BETA2, RIPE3b1. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, March 2007, 354(2):334-339. PMID: 17239820
- Langevin JP, Bergsneider M, Yashar P, Makary RF. Waldenström’s macroglobulinemia and large B-cell central nervous system lymphoma: a case report. Surgical Neurology, April 2008, 69(4):407-410. PMID:18262236
- Yashar P*, Cho MA*, Kim SK, Noh T, Gillam MP, Jameson JL, Lee EJ. HoxD10 gene delivery using adenovirus/adeno-associate hybrid virus inhibits the proliferation and tumorigenicity of GH4 pituitary lactotrope tumor cells. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, July 2008, 371(3):371-4. PMID: 18442473 *co-first authorship
- Sivakumar W, Zada G, Yashar P, Giannotta SL, Teitelbaum GP, Larsen DW. Endovascular management of spinal dural arteriovenous fistulas: A review. Neurosurgical Focus, May 2009, 25(5): E15. PMID:19408993
- Yashar P, Amar AP, Giannotta SL, Yu C, Pagnini PG, Liu CY, Apuzzo ML. Cerebral arteriovenous malformations: Issues of the interplay between stereotactic radiosurgery and endovascular surgical therapy. World Neurosurgery, 75(5-6):638-47, 2001. PMID: 21704930
- Yashar P, Kan PT, Levy EI: Horizontal Deployment of an Intracranial Stent via an Antegrade Approach for Coil Embolization of a Basilar Apex Aneurysm: Technical Note. Journal of NeuroInterventional Surgery (epub February 23, 2011 DOI 10.1136/jnis.2010.004481 PMID: 21990458
- Kan P, Yashar P, Chamczuk AJ, Levy EI, Hopkins LN, Siddiqui AH: Letter to the Editor: Multimodal Treatment of Co-existent Callosal Cavernous Malformation and Anterior Communicating Artery Aneurysm Associated with an Infraoptic Anterior Cerebral Artery. Neuroradiology 54(2): 181-3, 2012. PMID: 21556861
- Kan PT, Snyder KV, Yashar P, Siddiqui AH, Hopkins LN, Levy EI. Utility of CT perfusion scanning in patient selection for acute stroke intervention: Experience at University at Buffalo Neurosurgery – Millard Fillmore Gates Circle Hospital. Neurosurgical Focus 30(6):E4, June 2011 (epub June 1, 2011 DOI 10.3171/2011.2.FOCUS1130) PMID:21631228
- Binning MJ, Yashar P, Orion D, Hauck EF, Levy EI, Hopkins LN, Siddiqui AH. Use of the outreach distal access catheter for microcatheter stabilization during intracranial arteriovenous malformation embolization. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol (in press, 2011) (epub July 14, 2011 DOI 10.3174/ajnr.A2547) PMID:21757517
- Binning MJ, Orion D, Yashar P, Webb S, Ionita CN, Jain A, Rudin S, Hopkins LN, Siddiqui AH, Levy EI. Use of the micro-angiographic fluoroscope for coiling of intracranial aneurysms. Neurosurgery, 69(5): 1131-8, November 2011. PMID: 21694658
- Kan P, Yashar P, Langer DJ, Siddiqui AH, Levy EI. PICA-to-PICA in situ bypass for treatment of bow hunter’s type dynamic ischemia in holovertebral dissection. World Neurosurgery 1 Nov 2011 (epub, ahead of print) PMID:22120571
- Waldau B, Turk AS III, Yashar P, Khaldi A, Turner RD IV, Chaudry MI, Siddiqui AH, Levy EI, Hoh BL, Mocco J. Perioperative safety of hydrosoft coils. J Neurointerv Surg (epub 17 October 2011, DOI 10.1136/neurintsurg-2011-010106). PMID: 21990538
- Webb SW, Yashar P, Kan P, Snyder KV, Hopkins LN, Siddiqui AH, Levy EI. Treatment and Outcomes of Acute Intracranial Vertebrobasilar Artery Occlusion: One Institution’s Experience. Journal of Neurosurgery, 116(5):952-60, May 2012. PMID: 22304447
- Kan P, Yashar P, Ionita CN, Jain A, Rudin S, Levy EI, Siddiqui AH. Endovascular coil embolization of a very small rupture aneurysm using a novel microangiographic technique. Technical note. J Neurointerv Surg 5:e2, March 2013 (epub January 21, 2012 DOI 10.1136/neurintsurg-2011-010154).
- Yashar P, Zada G, Harris B, Giannotta SL. Extent of resection and early postoperative outcomes following resection of cystic vestibular schwannomas: surgical experience over a decade and review of the literature. Neurosurgical Focus 33(3):E13, Sep 2012 (PMID: 22937847) PMID: 22937847
- Kan P, Jahshan S, Yashar P, Orion D, Webb S, Siddiqui AH, Hopkins LN, Levy EI: Feasibility, Safety, and Periprocedural Complications Associated with Endovascular Treatment of Selected Ruptured Aneurysms Under Conscious Sedation and Local Anesthesia. Neurosurgery 72:216-220, February 2013 (epub November 10, 2012 DOI 10.1227/NEU.0b013e31827b9183). PMID: 23149970
- Kass-Hout T, Kass-Hout O, Mokin M, Thesier DM, Yashar P, Orion D, Jahshan S, Hopkins LN, Siddiqui AH, Snyder KV, Levy EI: Is Bridging with Intravenous Thrombolysis of Any Benefit in Endovascular Therapy for Acute Ischemic Stroke? World Neurosurg (epub January 31, 2013 DOI 10.1016/j.wneu.2013.01.097). PMID: 23376392
Invited Publications (Not Peer-Reviewed)
- Kan PT, Orion D, Yashar P, Levy EI: Intra-arterial Thrombolysis for Acute Ischemic Stroke: Technique and Results. J Neurosurg Sci 55(2):151-160, June, 2011.
- Yashar P, Hopkins LN. Instrumentation in Neurosurgery – Nurturing the trend towards minimalism. World Neurosurgery: in press September/October 2013 (ePub November 23, 2011 DOI 10.1016/j.wneu.2011.11.009
- Yashar P, Natarajan SK, Kan PT, Snyder KV, Levy EI, Hopkins LN, Siddiqui, AH: Acute Stroke Interventions (Chapter 15). A. Surgical Technique – Carotid Endarterectomy. B. Endovascular Techniques. In Jabbour P (Ed): Neurovascular Surgical Techniques. New Delhi (India), Jaypee Brothers Medical Publisher (in press, 2012), pp 272-296.
- Mathern GW, Yashar P, Andre V. Neo Timm’s staining in human hippocampi from TLE patients: It is always associated with hippocampal sclerosis and progressively increases with longer seizure duration. American Epilepsy Society, 56th Annual Meeting December 6-11, 2002 [abstract 3.040] Koski T, Salehi SA, O’Shaughnessy BA, Yashar P, Le TA, Ondra SL. Analysis of cranio-cervical sagittal balance and their relationships to the remainder of the spinal column. Poster. Cervical Spine Research Society, Boston, MA, USA. December 9-11, 2004. [Poster: 32] Yashar P. UCLA Division of Neurosurgery, Grand Rounds. Clinical Case Presentation. Pineocytoma in a 4-year-old girl. Review of surgical approaches and treatment modalities. November 10, 2004. Yashar P, Park SY, Lee EJ, Jameson JL. HoxD10 suppresses prolactinoma tumorigenesis by inhibiting expression of angiogenic factors. Poster. AANS Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, USA. April 15-20, 2005. [ID: 25061]
- Yashar P, Chandler JP. Lumbar drain placement resulting in reversible primary intracranial hypotension with coma: Report of 2 cases. Poster. AANS Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, USA. April 15-20, 2005. [ID: 25043]
- Yashar P, Houten JK. Distinctive characteristics of T10-12 thoracic spondylosis. Poster. AANS Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, USA. April 17-22, 2006. [ID: 36304]
- Yashar P, Alzate JC, LaSala P, Weidenheim KM. Skull sarcoidosis presenting as lytic lesions mimicking a metastatic neoplasm: A difficult pre-operative diagnosis. Poster. AANS Annual Meeting, Washington, DC. April 14-19, 2007. [ID: 42915]
- Yashar P, Berry C, Zada G, Krieger MD, McComb JG. Ventriculo-pleural shunts: A single institution’s 30-year experience. AANS Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA. May 4, 2009. [ID: 54573]
- Yashar P, Berry C, Zada G, Krieger MD, McComb JG. Ventriculo-pleural shunts: A single institution’s 30-year experience. International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery Annual Meeting, Pasadena CA. October 11-15, 2009.
- Yashar P, Binning MJ, Orion D, Hauck EF, Levy EI, Hopkins LN, Siddiqui AH. Novel use of the Outreach distal access catheter for microcatheter stabilization during intracranial arteriovenous malformation embolization. e-Poster, AANS Annual Meeting, Denver, CO. April 9-13, 2011. [Abstract: 1528]
- Binning MJ, Yashar P, Orion D, Webb S, Ionita CN, Jain A, Rudin S, Hopkins LN, Siddiqui AH, Levy EI. Use of the micro-angiographic fluoroscope for coiling of intracranial aneurysms. e-Poster, AANS Annual Meeting, Denver, CO. April 9-13, 2011. [Abstract: 1220]
- Kan PT, Jahshan S, Yashar P, Orion D, Webb S, Siddiqui AH, Hopkins LN, Levy EI: Feasibility, Safety, and Periprocedural complications associated with endovascular treatment of ruptured aneurysms under conscious sedation and local anesthesia (Abstract 917). Oral presentation. Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, Washington, DC; October 3, 2011; 2:24-2:33pm.
- Yashar P, Durkin R, Lucas J, Giannotta SL. Cystic vestibular schwannomas: Experience over the last 10 years (Abstract 1393). ePoster. Congress of Neurological surgeons Annual Meeting, Washington, DC; October 1-6, 2011.
- Webb S, Yashar P, Kan P, Siddiqui AH, Hopkins LN, Levy EI: Treatment and Outcomes of Acute Vertebrobasilar Artery Occlusion: One Institution’s Experience (abstract 31). Accepted for Interactive Oral Poster Presentation, CNS Neurosurgical Forum of the Section on Cerebrovascular Surgery Neurosurgical Forum, Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, Washington DC; October 1-6, 2011. (Oral presentation. October 3, 2011; 12:00-1:30pm).